MacKeeper is a program that gives you access to a wide range of built-in tools specialized to optimize the performance of your system and delete unnecessary data from your Mac. It's packed with an app uninstaller, a junk data cleaner, a disk usage analyzer, a login items manager, and many others. Still, the utility received mixed reviews. Many users encountered errors after installing and using MacKeeper on their Macs. Some of the issues include slow system startup, multiple ads everywhere, apps running slowly, etc.
Unfortunately, getting rid of this Mac application isn't as simple as with other utilities. Dragging it to Trash doesn't completely remove MacKeeper from your computer. Here's what you need to do in order to uninstall this program without leaving any traces behind:
1. Launch MacKeeper on your Mac. If the application displays its icon on your Menu Bar, go to the Preferences panel -> General and uncheck the "Show MacKeeper icon in Menu Bar".
MacKeeper Preferences Panel
2. Quit the MacKeeper application. By doing so, you make sure the program is really closed.
3. Drag MacKeeper to your Trash utility. Enter the administrator password if you're not running your Mac using the administrator account.
4. Once the application is dragged to Trash, a pop-up window will be displayed on your screen and ask you if you want to remove its associated files as well. Click the "Uninstall MacKeeper" button from the upper-right side of the window.
Removing MacKeeper's leftover files
Once the aforementioned task is completed, the MacKeeper Uninstaller lets you know that the application was completely removed from your computer. However, there's still a chance some of its files would still be scattered within your local directories. Here's what you need to do to get rid of this app's leftover files:
1. Click on empty space on your desktop. The Finder main menu should be displayed on your status bar. Choose the "Go To Folder" option and enter the following "~/Library/Application Support". Click the "Go" button.
Locating Application Support Folder
2. Locate the MacKeeper Helper directory and send it to Trash. Empty Trash.
3. Restart your Mac. The application is completely removed from your computer.
If you want to make sure everything associated with the MacKeeper program is completely erased from your Mac, check if these folders and files are located within your computer (use Finder's "Go To Folder" option to locate them) and delete them:
~/Library/Application Support/MacKeeper Helper.
As you can see, you can easily get rid of the MacKeeper program along with its associated files. Make sure you complete all of the aforementioned steps and no leftover files will be left behind.
- CCleaner CCleaner protects your privacy and makes your Mac faster and more secure. A Mac... $24.95 DOWNLOAD
- MacKeeper Release notes for Version 3.7: - Memory Cleaner plugin now enables automatic... $39.95 DOWNLOAD
- McAfee Endpoint Protection for Mac This application is an essential security solution for protecting the data on... $75.52 DOWNLOAD
- ProtectMac AntiVirus ProtectMac AntiVirus helps you keep your Mac safe from computer... $44.99 DOWNLOAD
- ProtectWorks AntiVirus ProtectWorks AntiVirus is designed to allow you to identify and remove quickly... $45.50 DOWNLOAD