Why convert DOC to RTF? You may need to convert a DOC file to the RTF format if you need to open and view a document that was delivered to you as a DOC file on a system, device, or application that doesn't support loading and displaying DOC documents. Since DOC is a document file format typically used by Microsoft word processing products, like WordPerfect or Microsoft Word, it is not as largely supported as the RTF format, especially since the DOC format was a closed specification for many years. On the other hand, RTF (which stands for Rich Text Format) is a word processing file format specifically designed for cross-platform document interchange, therefore it is supported by a lot more apps and platforms.
I will describe this conversion process when using Convert DOC 8.6 (Shareware $499.95) because it is a reliable tool that can save time by batch converting multiple documents at the same time and by saving conversion presets (conversion configurations) for being re-used at later times. This application can also be run from the command line.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
These are the steps that you will need to complete in order to convert your DOC files to RTF format
Click “New” to create a new conversion job.
Check the “Convert DOC” conversion method.
Select the “ Microsoft Word 97-2003 (DOC)” input file format.
Click the “File” button next to the “Input File(s)” field to select the DOC file to be converted, when you intend to convert one single document, and the “Folder” button when you intend to convert the entire documents contained within a specific directory.
Choose the “ Rich Text Format (RTF)” output file format (the “Convert to File Format” field).
Choose the output file name and destination.
Press the “Convert” button from the top menu to start the conversion or the “Add” button to add the current conversion setup to the list of conversion jobs.
a. Configure page-related settings like the paper size or the page margins by pressing the “Advanced Options” button, checking the “Enforce Page and Document Settings” option, pressing the “Change Page and Documents Settings” button, and selecting the proper options from the opened window:
Configure page-related settings
Select paper size
b. Change the paragraph formatting options by pressing the “Advanced Options” button, selecting the “Paragraph formatting” tab, checking the “Enforce Paragraph Formatting” option, pressing the “Change Paragraph Formatting” button, and selecting the proper options from the opened window:
Well done! Now you have successfully convert your DOC files to RTF documents. As you can see, changing DOC files to RTF format with the feature-rich Convert DOC is not that complicated and, with the help of this guide, you should have no problem converting all of your files. If you are looking for more extended conversion options, check related programs for alternatives.
- Can batch convert entire folders containing DOC files.
- Allows customizing paragraph formatting and page settings.
- Can save conversion jobs (specific conversion settings) for being re-used later.
- Can be run from the command line.
- Not the easiest-to-use DOC to RTF conversion tool one could find.
- A little expensive.
- AVS Document Converter Convert documents between DOC, PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT, HTML, RTF, TIFF, JPEG, etc.... FREE DOWNLOAD
- All File to All File Converter 3000 A revolutionary product-All File to All File Converter 3000 is released now.... $159.95 DOWNLOAD
- All Office Converter Platinum All Office Converter Platinum is an easy-to-use and professional document... $79.95 DOWNLOAD
- Convert Doc 'Convert Doc' has been optimized for rapid conversions. It also allows for the... $499.95 DOWNLOAD
- Doxillion Document Converter Software Doxillion is a free PDF converter to convert docx, doc, rtf, html, xml, wpd... FREE DOWNLOAD