Playing WMA (Windows Media Audio) files on a Mac can prove to be quite a problem for many users, as this format was designed by Microsoft primarily for applications running on the Windows operating system. Even though there are some methods that allow users to play WMA files on their Mac systems (like using VLC media player or installing plug-ins), it would be much easier to turn them into the widely-supported audio format, MP3. By doing this, you won't have to worry that your default media player won't be able to play your music files and you won't have to search the Internet for plug-ins, codecs or other applications.
A great piece of software that will help you convert your WMA audio files into MP3 is the freeware MediaHuman Audio Converter 1.9.4 by MediaHuman. This application was chosen for the guide mostly due to its popularity, ease of use and batch conversion support (can turn multiple WMA files into MP3 at once, saving you some time when converting your entire music collection).
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
Here are the simple steps that you will need to complete in order to convert your WMA files into MP3
Add the WMA files you want to convert either by clicking on the "Add" button (the plus sign) or by dragging-and-dropping them onto the program's interface.
Click on the output format button (not the arrow!) in order to open the small window from where you can select MP3 as the desired format (view image) and add it to the drop-down format list (by default, it only contains AAC as an output format).
You can, optionally, change several parameters of your MP4 output file by accessing the "Preferences" menu (click on MediaHuman Audio Converter from the menu bar), selecting MP3 as the desired output format and choosing a "Custom" preset from the drop-down menu.
Once you have done that, you will be able to select the desired channels to be used (mono, stereo or 5.1), the sample rate (frequency), the bit rate mode (CBR or VBR) and the bit rate value, as seen in the image below.
Start the conversion process by clicking on the "Start" button (the one with the two arrows).
After the conversion process ends, you can instantly open the output folder simply by clicking on the magnifying class icon ("search" icon) next to the converted file. Turning your WMA files into MP3 using MediaHuman Audio Converter is a pretty simple process and you shouldn't encounter any problems whatsoever. You can even add multiple files to the conversion list, hit the "start" button and continue with your work while this tool converts each of your audio files, one after another, without asking you to interfere.
If you want to try other applications to convert your WMA files into MP3 format, then check the programs on the list below.
- Batch conversion support.
- Output customization options.
- Free to use.
- Support for multiple formats.
- Very fast conversion speed.
- Aimersoft Total Media Converter Aimersoft Total Media Converter for Mac is a fast video converter and DVD ripper that lets you... $49 DOWNLOAD
- EZToo WMA MP3 Converter EZToo WMA MP3 Converter supports converting batches of audio formats MP3, AAC, WMA. $19.95 DOWNLOAD
- EarthSoft WMA MP3 Converter Audio conversion tool for Mac users. $20.79 DOWNLOAD
- MediaHuman Audio Converter Freeware application for Mac OS X and Windows. FREE DOWNLOAD
- My Music Converter Free Free version of My Music Converter. FREE DOWNLOAD
- Super Music Converter It can convert all video and audio formats to any audio format according to user’s needs. FREE DOWNLOAD
- WMATunes-WMA Convert WMA is the easiest way to get your WMA files to play in iTunes and your iPhone or iPod. $3.99 DOWNLOAD