Nowadays, more and more users have at least one device that uses Wi-Fi connectivity in order to access the Internet. It is more convenient to connect a smartphone, a tablet or a laptop to the Internet using wireless technology rather than using the standard cable connection or expensive 3G connection, even though in some cases the transfer speed might be a bit slower.
Most people use a router to set up and share Wi-Fi connection, but sometimes you do not have a router near by. Luckily, there are several ways to turn your PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot that will share the Intenet connection between other devices.
In the following guide I will demonstrate you two simple ways to turn your Windows PC into a Wireless hotspot: one using Windows Control Panel tools and another one using a third-party application.
Here are the simple steps that will help you turn your computer into a Wi-Fi hotspot
Access the Network and Sharing Center (see image). You can do that either via the Control Panel or by simply right clicking on the network icon in the system tray.
Once you have done that, a new window will appear. In this window you need to find and click on the "Set up a new connection or network" option in order to start creating your Wi-Fi hotspot.
After the wizard-like interface appears, click on the "create a new ad hoc wireless network" and give your new network a name and a password (highly recommended since you don't want other users to freely access it). You might also want to set a WPA2 password instead of WEP, since it is more secure and harder to crack than the latter.
After the connection is created, it should be visible in the wireless networks list. The new connection is ready to be used by any of your devices.
Using a third party appIf you don't want to struggle with the "Network and Sharing Center", there are some third party applications such as Virtual Router Plus (image) or mHotspot that will help you share your Internet connection with your devices in a very simple manner. If you decide to use any of these programs, then you will need to provide a name for the network, a password and choose what connection to share (the network adapter connected to the Internet). It's that simple.
As you can see, it is very easy to set up a secure Wi-Fi hotspot on your personal computer and all you have to do is follow these simple steps.
- HC Spot Handy and reliable application designed to provide users with possibilities to create WiFi hotspots... $590 DOWNLOAD
- PCMate Free WiFi Hotspot Creator Free virtual WiFi hotspot creator for Windows which allows you to instantly turn your laptop into a wireless hotspot... FREE DOWNLOAD
- Thinix WiFi Hotspot Thinix WiFi Hotspot makes it possible to easily share a computer’s Internet connection with other devices. $12.95 DOWNLOAD
- Virtual WiFi Router Windows 7 Virtual WiFi Router download for free. FREE DOWNLOAD
- wifi.com The wifi.com network compiles open, secure... FREE DOWNLOAD