Reducing photo file size has become a common practice when attempting to attach large pictures to emails or upload them on the Web.
There are various ways to reduce photo file size on your Mac. You can use Preview, Mac's default image viewer, or download and install third-party image editors that feature options for reducing file size. This guide will show you how to resize image files by using Mac's default tool as well as using a particular program called Super Resize.
Reduce image file size with Preview
1. Launch the Preview app on your Mac. Go to File -> Open and select the picture you wish to modify.
Preview Menu Window
2. After the selected picture is imported, go to Tools -> Adjust Size.
Tools Menu Window
3. The first thing you need to do is select the preferred image resolution. Afterwards, you can alter the width and height dimension values according to your needs. On the bottom side of this window, you will see the new file size of the modified picture. You can always undo or alter the resizing options if the details from the Resulting Size panel don't match your needs. The information from the Resulting Size panel is automatically updated as soon as you alter the image resolution. If you want, you can choose one of the default resizing profiles which can be accessed by clicking on the tree menu from the right side of the "Fit Into" option.
Adjust Size Window
4. Once you finish altering the file size options, click the "OK" button and save the picture to any folder location within your Mac.
Reduce image file size with Super Resize
Super Resize is a free Mac program that comes as an alternative to using the Preview utility for reducing the file size of your pictures. It provides you with similar resizing options. However, the application gives you access to several extra features which come in handy if you want to rename the resized photo or add a thumbnail to the imported image file.
1. Launch the application. Use drag-and-drop to import the image you wish to resize or go to File -> Open to select the picture for editing.
Super Resize Main Window
2. On the left side of the interface, you will find various image file resizing options. By clicking on the tree menu that is located in the "Resize" section, you will reveal the available resizing profiles: By Weight, By Height, By Percentage, By Max Size, and By Min Size. Simply select the preferred output profile and adjust the settings (in this case, the resolution values) according to your needs. You can also add a thumbnail to the imported photo, choose to preserve image metadata before exporting the picture, and rename the edited file.
3. Click the "Save To" button from the bottom side of the main window and select the destination folder for the resized picture. Click the "OK" button, and your resized image is immediately exported to the selected folder.
Both applications are free and provide you with easy to configure output settings and quality results. To conclude, it's up to you to decide which of these two programs is the best solution for you.
- Pixelmator Pixelmator is an inspiring, easy-to-use, beautifully designed image editor... $29.99 DOWNLOAD
- Super Image Resizer Pro Super Image Resizer Pro is very handy Mac OS application for image conversion... $2.99 DOWNLOAD
- Super Resize Super Resize — The professional tool to resize images Quickly resize your... FREE DOWNLOAD