Browsing the Web puts your Mac to various risks, such as virus infections, personal data theft, and many others. One way to prevent the aforementioned events from happening is to download, install, and run an anti-malware program on your computer. The following apps are some of the most reliable antivirus and anti-malware tools: Avira, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, VirusBarrier Express, ClamXav, etc. This guide will provide you with all of the steps you need to complete in order to clean your Mac of malicious infections by using the reliable, highly-appreciated, and widely-acknowledged Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Avira applications.
Removing malicious infections with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This program automatically downloads and updates signatures database every time you launch it on your Mac. Unlike many other similar security utilities, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware comes with a very simple interface and helps you immediately get rid of malware threats.
1. Launch the application on your Mac.
2. Click the "Scan" button from the main window of the program. The application will immediately start scanning the contents of your Mac.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Scanning Window
3. Once the scanning process is complete, the utility will provide you with a detailed report. You can choose which of the potential malicious threats should be ignored and kept on your Mac and which of them should be permanently removed from your computer.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Scan Results Window
4. If your Mac continues to run slow, and you think your computer is still infected, click the "Next Steps" or "Get Help" buttons from the main window of the application. The program will give you direct access to the support page of the developer where you can find FAQ and additional guidance. In my testing, the application worked perfectly and removed all of the selected malicious threats. So, the risks of not being able to remove the found malware threats with this tool are quite low.
Removing malicious infections with Avira
Avira is a popular malware and virus detection and removal utility that helps you find and eliminate Trojans, viruses, spyware, adware, etc. This application is also capable of preventing your Mac from getting infected with Windows-related malicious threats. Here are the steps you need to complete in order to keep your Mac malware-free using Avira:
1. Launch Avira on your Mac.
Avira Main Window
2. Select the preferred Scan mode: Quick Scan or Computer Scan. The interval of time waiting for the scan to be completed depends on the type of scan you choose. The Computer Scan mode might take a while to complete, especially if you're owning a large-sized hard drive.
Avira Scan Mode Selection Window
3. The scanning process begins. The application will display the number of found threats and the amount of scanned files while analyzing the contents of your drive. You can always pause and resume the scanning process if needed.
Avira Scan Window
4. Once the scanning process is complete, click the "OK" button. If Avira managed to find malicious threats on your Mac, it will automatically move them to Quarantine. You can access the isolated malicious items by returning to the main window of the application and clicking the "Quarantine" button. There, you will find the option to permanently delete the malicious infections from your Mac.
Avira Quarantine Window
While both programs have similar functionality, Avira seems to be a smarter addition to your collection of Mac apps as it provides you with more features, such as two scanning modes, real-time protection, etc. Still, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a smaller amount of CPU resources while scanning your Mac and immediately offers you with the accurate report you need. In conclusion, it's up to you to decide which app is the best for you, but these both tools are decent antimalware programs developed for Mac.
- Avira FREE Avira delivers first-rate protection for free. Mac DOWNLOAD
- ClamXav $29.95 Trusted anti-virus and malware scanner for Mac OS X with the ability to detect both Mac and Windows threats. Mac DOWNLOAD
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac scans for and removes code that degrades performance or attacks your system. Mac DOWNLOAD