If you are not an audiophile or a professional sound editor, then you might want to find out what FLAC files are. To explain it in a simple manner, FLAC (short for Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an open audio format that is used for storing audio data in high quality. FLAC files are larger than, let's say, the popular MP3, as this format uses a lossless compression method that prevents any quality loss when encoding audio data. This is why FLAC audio files are, often, a popular choice for professional sound editors or music enthusiasts who want to listen to their favorite songs on a computer just as if they were listening to it from their original CD.
Ripping the tracks from an audio CD and storing them as FLAC files on your computer not only ensures that your music will be safely stored in case something happens to your music CD, but also gives you the possibility to store digital music on your hard drives with CD-quality. However, the downside of using this format is the fact that it is not supported by as many media players and editors as other audio formats are (like MP3 or WMA).
Now, I will show you how easy it is to rip your audio CD to FLAC files using FairStars CD Ripper 1.8 (Freeware) by FairStars Soft, because it is an efficient and free application that will help you save your music as FLAC files with just a few clicks of a mouse. It is also highly rated on various websites.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
The following step-by-step guide will show you how to rip the content of an audio CD to FLAC files
Select the device (CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, etc.) from the drop-down list in the menu bar. Once you have done that, the application will instantly find the tracks and display them as a list
Choose FLAC as the output type (see image)
Provide the desired output folder ("My Music" by default) and the filename creation format (the right side of the interface)
Click the "Extract" button and wait for the process to finish
a. Listen to your CD tracks by using the built-in audio player
b. Perform a query to get information about the audio CD from the Freedb website (click on the "Query" button, use the CTRL+Q key combination or pick "Query CD Info" from the "Actions" tab)
c. Change several parameters for the FLAC output file by accessing the "Option" menu from the "Tools" tab in the menu bar
Congratulations! You have successfully ripped the tracks from your audio CD to FLAC files. As you can see, ripping the tracks using FairStars CD Ripper 1.8 is not complicated at all and the presented guide will help you make sure that you won't encounter any problems during the process. If you are looking for a replacement, then check the related programs list.
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Fast ripping speed
- Can search online for track information
- Built-in CD player
- The interface might seem a bit complicated
- 3herosoft Audio Encoder Encoding Audio files to burn new CD for backup or ripping music/audio from CD on your computer to share with your cyber-friend. $25 DOWNLOAD
- Accord CD Ripper Xtreme With Accord CD Ripper Xtreme you can rip audio CD to MP3, FLAC, M4A... $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- Advanced CD Ripper Pro High quality audio software to rip CD tracks to MP3, WAV, WMA... $17.95 DOWNLOAD
- BBox FREE music player for the PC that lets you play, edit, convert and manage audio files... FREE DOWNLOAD
- CDDA Ripper XP Audio CD ripper program that provides support for NT/2000/XP natively (ASPI manager is optional). FREE DOWNLOAD
- FairStars CD Ripper Handy tool for ripping audio CD tracks to WMA, MP3, OGG... FREE DOWNLOAD
- ImTOO CD Ripper Capable of ripping CD to MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, OGG, APE and many other audio formats, enabling... $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- MP3 Toolkit Convert, Rip, Merge, Cut, Tag Edit and Record MP3 All-In-One MP3 Toolkit is a powerful Windows app... $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- Softe Audio Converter Sound Format Conversion, Join / Merge, Cut / Split... $30 DOWNLOAD
- Total Audio MP3 Converter Total Audio MP3 Converter converts 270 audio and video formats to 25 audio formats. $19.95 DOWNLOAD
- Xilisoft CD Ripper Program that rips CDs to audio formats such as MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, OGG and APE. $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- mediAvatar Audio Converter Pro Joining the functions of audio converter, audio extractor, CD ripper and CD burner... $34.99 DOWNLOAD