EPUB is an eBook file format widely used to store images and texts. EPUB is also an "open format", which means its license is free, and it can be used on a wide number of devices including smartphones, tablets, e-readers, and computers. Furthermore, its most remarkable advantage over other formats comes from the fact that it's universally supported and almost every e-book reader is capable of opening it. There are many applications developed to open EPUB files, and some of them are free while others are commercial or shareware. Each of them offers different features that help users read e-books in an easy and comfortable manner.
Here are my preferred apps that I use to read EPUB files on Mac.
Adobe Digital Editions (Proprietary/Free)
Adobe Digital Editions is a proprietary application developed by Adobe which implements a type of DRM protection adopted by many websites that offer eBooks for sale. However, it also offers standard viewing features and can open eBooks in different formats, including EPUB. I am personally using Adobe Digital Editions to keep my books organized after I purchase them from various websites. To use Adobe Digital Editions to read EPUB files on a Mac, follow these steps:
1. Download the application.
2. Double-click the DMG file to expand it, then double-click again on the installer, and follow the installation procedure.
3. Open the software from the Applications folder.
4. Locate your EPUB file, drag and drop it into the main window, then you can simply read it.
Tip: Use arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll between pages.
Kitabu is another application that can open EPUB files and also offers many additional features that put you in complete control when it comes to handling pages (changing font, adjusting columns, font size, etc). Summarizing, Kitabu is simple yet powerful due to the extensive customization options that it offers. To view EPUB files on a Mac using Kitabu, follow these steps:
1. Install the software through App Store;
2. Since the installation process is automatic, when it finishes, launch it from Applications folder on your Mac or use the Spotlight feature to locate it.
3. Locate the ePub file on your Mac, then drag and drop it into the application, and you can start reading.
Reading ePub file
These two apps that I've presented above are free to download and use, but they're not the only ones capable of opening EPUB files on a Mac. There are other tools that let you read this kind of e-books on a Mac and also support online cloud storage, audio reading, layouts, templates, and much more.
- EPUB File View $4.99 This is an useful EPUB reader software: 1. Mac DOWNLOAD
- EPUB Viewer $29 Enolsoft EPUB Viewer for Mac is an EPUB eBook reader for Mac users to open and read non-DRM protected EPUB formats on Mac with Zoom-in... Mac DOWNLOAD
- Murasaki - EPUB Reader $7.99 Murasaki is an EPUB reader application that has simple user interfaces and various features (CANNOT... Mac DOWNLOAD