Audio Interchange File Format (or simply AIFF) is a format used mainly by Apple products (iPhone, iPad, iPod, MacBook, etc). The quality of .AIF/.AIFF audio files is much higher if compared to its lossy companion – MP3. Neverthelees, MP3 remains the most common audio format so far, and is supported by the overwhelming majority (if not all) of the audio systems in the world. So, if you wish to free some space on your iPhone, converting your music to MP3 would be a nice idea as long as you don't mind the quality loss.
The fastest and the most convenient way to convert a single audio file is to use one of the online services like media io.
- You don't have to install anything on your PC
- Limited number of output formats
- Takes extra time to upload a file
- Not suitable for direct conversion from a CD
For batch conversion it would be still a better idea to install a converter. In this step-by-step instruction I will be using the unlicensed version of NCH Switch Sound File Converter. It is one of the best paid converters on the market and its free version also proved to be a decent converter that will do the job with minor restrictions.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
Here are the steps that you will need to complete in order to convert AIFF files into MP3 format.
Launch Switch Sound File Converter Plus and add the files you wish to convert by clicking Add File(s) (You can also click the arrow next to the Add button to add whole folders or even CDs and DVDs)
Select the files you want to convert in the program window (You can convert up to 5 tracks at the same time with the free version)
Choose MP3 in the output format dropdown list.
Select the folder for your output files by clicking Browse. You can also set the bitrate and other options, like channels, by clicking Encoder Options. When you are ready, click "Convert"
Auto tag CD albums: allow the software to access the internet database to add tags to the converted tracks (Options/ CD Tracks)
Right click conversion: set up to three formats that will be added to the right click menu, so that you will be able to convert your files without even running the software. (Options/ Right Click)
Following these easy steps, you will be able to free some space on your iDevice without losing your favourite songs. If you have a huge audio library stored in AIF and wish to convert it into MP3, check the Alternative downloads, as this tool is not quite convenient for batch conversion.
- Easy and fast conversion.
- Didn't notice any function restrictions in the free version
- A very extensive output format list
- Free version allows to process only five files at the same time.
- The price of the paid version is rather high - $40
- Audials Tunebite Tunebite is a great tool for stream recordings and converting media. $39.90 DOWNLOAD
- FormatFactory Format Factory is a multifunctional media converter. Provides functions... FREE DOWNLOAD
- Free Audio Converter Free Audio Converter supports all popular audio file formats. It converts... FREE DOWNLOAD
- Switch Sound File Converter Convert and encode sound files on PC and Mac Switch is one of the most... $13.99 DOWNLOAD