Contrary to what some users might think, MPEG is not a video format by itself, but the name given to a family of compression methods used for encoding video and audio files (it stands for Moving Picture Experts Group). Some of the popular media formats that are encoded using various MPEG compression standards are MP4, H.264 or MP3. Also, video files compressed using the MPEG standard usually take less disk space when compared to other formats. FLV, commonly referred to as Flash video, is a file format that is mainly used to share videos over the Internet. It is the format used by popular websites like Youtube or Hulu. So, converting your FLV files to MPEG videos can be quite useful, especially when downloading videos from popular websites and storing them on your computer, as FLV files tend to have quite large sizes.
I have chosen FLV Converter 5.3 (Freeware) by GreenTree Applications SRL to demonstrate the conversion process, because it is a stylish program that is pretty efficient at doing this job and, for a free tool, comes with quite a few features.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
Here is the step-by-step guide for converting FLV videos to MPEG format.
Add the desired FLV video file.
Select the desired MPEG format from the drop-down menu (see image) as well as the quality of the output.
You can cut the loaded video file by providing the start and the end time (simply check the "Cut video" box).
Change the volume of the output video using the slide bar.
Choose the output directory ("Save to").
Click on the "Convert Video" button to start the conversion.
a. You can resume, pause and stop the process by accessing the "Activity" tab.
b. Comes with a built-in video player that will let you open and watch movies on your computer.
Once you have finished converting your FLV video file to MPEG, you can directly open the folder from the "Activity" tab. Changing your FLV files to MPEG videos using FLV Converter 5.3 is pretty easy and the output doesn't contain any watermarks or other elements. If you want more advanced applications, then feel free to check the related programs list.
- Can convert between several formats.
- Built-in video player.
- Pause, resume and stop conversion.
- Batch conversion available only for the paid version.
- 4Media FLV to MPEG Converter 4Media FLV to MPEG Converter helps you convert FLV to MPEG1/MPEG2 video files... $19.99 DOWNLOAD
- 4Videosoft FLV to Video Converter 4Videosoft FLV to Video Converter is a comprehensive FLV video conversion tool... $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- Bluefox FLV to MPEG Converter Bluefox FLV to MPEG Converter is the most ideal and easy to use FLV to MPEG... $18.95 DOWNLOAD
- Cool FLV To MPEG Converter FLV To MPEG Converter is a very easy to use video conversion software. It can... FREE DOWNLOAD
- ImTOO FLV to MPEG Converter ImTOO FLV to MPEG Converter can easily convert FLV to MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video.... $19.95 DOWNLOAD
- Tutu FLV to MPEG Converter Tutu FLV to MPEG Converter is the most ideal and easy to use tool for all your... $18.95 DOWNLOAD
- WinX Free FLV to MPEG Converter WinX Free FLV to MPEG Converter is a program that enables you to convert FLV... FREE DOWNLOAD