MOV and AVI are both video formats that are quite popular and they were, originally, designed for users of different platforms. MOV was created mostly for Apple users as the native format for QuickTime media player and AVI was targeted towards Windows systems as a video type associated with Windows Media Player. AVI is also a relatively old video format and it has been replaced with Microsoft's WMV video file type. Nowadays, even though MOV is commonly used on both Windows and Mac systems, AVI is still a more popular choice, especially when it comes to video editing or playback on mobile devices. Therefore, changing a MOV video file into AVI format can help you out when editing a video file using a program that doesn't offer support for QuickTime videos or transferring movies to a mobile device.
To demonstrate the conversion process, I have chosen Freemake Video Converter 4.1 (Freeware) by Ellora Assets Corporation, because it is an application that comes with a great design, it is free to use and it was quite highly ranked (among the first results after a Google search). This tool can also come in handy when converting multiple MOV files to AVI, as it can change the formats in batch mode.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
These are the three easy steps that you will need to complete in order to convert your MOV videos to AVI
Add the MOV video files you want to convert (either click on the "Video" button or drag-and-drop them onto the interface).
Select AVI as the output format (press the "to AVI" button) and wait for the pop-up window to appear (as seen in the image below). You can also select "to AVI" from the "Convert" menu located on the menu bar.
You can change the preset by either selecting a pre-defined one from the drop-down menu in the "Convert" window or adding one of your own as seen in the image below.
Choose the output location ("Save to") and click on the "Convert" button.
Well done! You have converted all your MOV files into AVI format with just a few clicks of a mouse. As presented, changing one video format to another using Freemake Video Converter 4.1 (Freeware) is a very simple task and all you need to do is follow the three easy steps presented above. This application also comes with several customization options and even a video player so that you can watch your movies. If you are looking for other (maybe faster) applications, then feel free to check out the "Alternative Downloads" section below.
- Stylish interface design
- Very easy to use
- Support for batch conversion
- Built-in video player
- Customization options
- The conversion speed is quite slow
- ABest Video to AVI MOV Converter ABest Video to AVI MOV Converter is an easy-to-use and all-in-one tool for... DOWNLOAD
- Bigasoft AVI Converter Bigasoft AVI Converter can help you easily convert to AVI, MPEG or MPG from all... $24.95 DOWNLOAD
- Flash Video Studio Convert Video to Macromedia Flash Files. Convert AVI, MOV, DIVX, WMV, MPEG... $49.95 DOWNLOAD
- Need4 Video Converter Need4 Video Converter is the most complete MPEG, DVD, FLV, MP4, AVI converter... $59.99 DOWNLOAD
- Pazera Free MOV to AVI Converter Convert MOV and QT files to AVI or MPEG. QuickTime video converter, MOV to AVI,... FREE DOWNLOAD
- WinX Free MOV to AVI Converter WinX Free MOV to MPEG Converter is a totally free and clean video converting... FREE DOWNLOAD
- Xilisoft MOV Converter Xilisoft MOV Converter allows you to convert MOV to AVI, MPEG or WMV formats.... $29.95 DOWNLOAD