ICO is a graphics format used for storing all types of icons on Windows-based systems. This type of file is similar to CUR (for storing mouse cursors) and ICSN (the icon format used on Mac computers). PNG is a well-known graphics format applied by many Internet users, as it is commonly used for sharing digital pictures on the web. A PNG image retains very much of the original photo's quality (lossless compression) and even supports transparency, which makes it an ideal format for web designers. Turning your PNG images into ICO format can come in handy if you have received or downloaded a picture from the Internet as PNG and want to create an icon for your folders or applications from it.
I will show you how you can convert PNG images to ICO files using Easy Picture2Icon 3.0 (Freeware) from Picture2Icon.com. I have chosen this application, because it is very easy to use and will help you create the desired icons in no time.
You will need to download the following software to keep up with this tutorial.
The two-steps conversion guide can be found below:
Load a PNG image file. (Click on the "Open" button from the program's interface).
Click on the "Save" icon and choose the desired file name and location.
a. You can choose any of the three available sizes for the icon (16x16, 32x32 and 48x48).
b. Modify the input PNG image by clicking on the three radio buttons under the preview area: "Compress", "Cut Edges", and "Fit".
Easy Picture2Icon is a very simple and lightweight application that you can use to quickly create program and folder icons up to 48x48 in dimension for free (unfortunately, you can't use this tool to create icons bigger than that). If you want to use other pieces of software for this job, then feel free to browse through the "Alternative Downloads" section below.
- Simple and lightweight
- Supports BMP, JPG, GIF, and PNG images as input
- Can't create icons bigger than 48x48
- Axialis IconWorkshop Icon creation has evolved. Use the industry standard to create, extract... $69.95 DOWNLOAD
- Easy Picture2Icon Wonderful tool for converting images or digital photos in to Windows icons. FREE DOWNLOAD
- IconWorkshop Pro With IconWorkshop make your own icons for Windows, MacOS and Unix. $65.53 DOWNLOAD
- Image2Ico Powerful and easy-to-use utility for converting images to ico. $12.50 DOWNLOAD
- Junior Icon Editor Junior Icon Editor 4.3 will help you to: Create and edit icons in color depths up to 16 million colors Create and edit icons for Windows XP... FREE DOWNLOAD
- PNG Icon Generator An icon generator (png files) for Adobe® AIR™ applications. FREE DOWNLOAD