As we all know, MP3 is the most popular audio format out there and it is supported by almost all media players, audio editors and hand-held devices (mobile phones, MP3 players, tablets, etc.). This type of file became a standard for storing music files on personal computers and listening to songs over the Internet. In case you didn't know, turning simple text files into MP3 is possible using a technology called text-to-speech (or TTS, for short). TTS programs can read aloud pieces of text using computer-generated voices (speech synthesis) and save text files in various audio formats. Turning your TXT files into MP3 can prove to be quite useful, for example, if you want to turn text stories into audio books or if you want to help those who have problems reading texts.
For demonstrating the conversion process, I have chosen Balabolka 2.10 (Freeware), because it is one of the most popular text-to-speech applications that helps users turn their texts (TXT), electronic books, MS Office documents and more into MP3 audio files and all for free.
You will need to download the following software to follow along with this tutorial.
Here is the simple step-by-step guide for turning text files into MP3
Open a saved text file or create a new one by accessing the "File" menu and clicking on the appropriate action (Open or New).
From the drop-down menu, select one of the voices that you have installed on your system (see image). You can even listen to how the output MP3 file will sound like by pressing the "play" button from the menu bar.
Modify the reading rate (reading speed), the pitch and the volume used when reading either by adjusting the bars under the voice selection area or by clicking on the "Options" tab and selecting the desired actions (raise or lower each parameter).
Go to "File" menu, click on "Save Audio File" and select MP3 as the output format from the list.
a. Batch convert text files and documents into MP3 ("Tools" menu).
b. Split large files into multiple smaller ones ("Tools" menu).
c. Extract text from various types of files ("Tools" menu).
d. Convert subtitle files into audio formats ("Tools" menu).
e. Translate texts between various languages ("Tools" menu).
As you can see, this feature-rich application puts at your disposal a large collection of tools that will help you deal with your text files before turning them into audio formats. Converting plain texts (TXT) into MP3 with Balabolka 2.10 (Freeware) is a very simple task that can easily be completed by any computer user, even by the utmost beginners. If you want to download and install other applications to help you with the process, then you might want to take a look at the programs found in the "Alternative Downloads" section or use one of the available online services like the Free online Text To Speech (TTS) service with natural sounding voices or Text to Speech.
- Lots of features.
- Easy to use.
- Supports a large number of input formats.
- Can convert to multiple audio formats.
- Active TTS Have you ever wanted to convert text to audio? $149.95 DOWNLOAD
- Advanced Text To Speech Free your Eyes: All new Advanced Text to Speech 3.6 (ATTS) is a Text to Speech utility based on Microsoft Agent Technology. DOWNLOAD
- Balabolka Text-To-Speech (TTS) program that can read the clipboard content... FREE DOWNLOAD
- PC MP3 Text To Speech Convert Text To Speech to MP3, WMA, WAV fast and easy! $22.50 DOWNLOAD
- TextAloud TextAloud reads text from email, web pages, reports and more, aloud on your PC. $29.95 DOWNLOAD
- TextSound Text-to-speech file converter! DOWNLOAD
- Verbose Text to Speech Verbose is an easy and convenient text to speech converter that can read aloud or save spoken text to mp3 files. $40 DOWNLOAD