Chess is among the most popular board games in the world, being played by millions of people. The thing about this type of game is that it takes a lot of time and practice to perfect your playing skills. You would need to play the game as much as possible, evaluate your matches and take notes, take lessons from an actual chess tutor or use a specialized software that not only teaches you tactics but it also puts your skills to the test.
With a simple search in your default web browser, you can find numerous websites dedicated to help chess players from all over the world to improve their playing skills and to learn new strategies. However, some of these online helpers are quite limited in terms of beginner guidance or they come with pricey subscription plans. An exception comes from the Chess Tempo website which is filled with a wide variety of features. For starters, it provides you many tactics as well as solutions for various types of chess problems. Furthermore, you can play against other online users, access and read the comprehensive help manual whenever you like, and keep track of your performance statistics. Anyone can become a member of the Chess Tempo community and a smartphone version of the website is available too.
Problem Example From Chess Tempo
Another solution is to use a third-party program on your PC. With a specialized desktop tutor, you can study from the comfort of your home, at any time during the day. A good example comes from Chess Mentor. Unlike many of its competitors, this feature-rich Windows utility doesn't just provide you with problems and solutions. Instead, it helps you get a better understanding of your tactics as it offers you feedback for both correct and wrong chess moves. In addition, it keeps track of your progress, brings you content written by professional chess players, and gives you access to custom lesson plans.
Other software examples include Shredder Classic, Arasan or Chess Opening Trainer.
- Take your time while playing the game. Use as much time as possible to make your move and analyze your tactics.
- Always check if any chess pieces from the board are vulnerable: both yours and your opponent's.
- When making a chess move, think ahead with three more actions.
As you can see, there are various ways to improve your chess playing skills. Which of the aforementioned solutions will you choose? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Arasan Chess program, which lets you play against the computer. FREE DOWNLOAD
- Chess Opening Trainer This software will help you learn and remember chess opening theory faster than ever before. $19.95 DOWNLOAD
- Chess Position Trainer Create, manage, learn and apply your chess opening repertoire. $39.90 DOWNLOAD
- Shredder Classic The Shredder chess programs by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen have already won twelve titles as World Computer Chess Champion... DOWNLOAD